More comfort, new technology and better views of the spectacular Norwegian coast. The single largest upgrade project in Hurtigruten’s history will see the MS Richard With emerge as a brand new ship.
This week the custom built polar vessel enters drydock at Norway’s Fosen Yard for a one-month full upgrade of all cabins, suites and guest areas.
And it is just the beginning: This is the first of the two-step upgrade that will transform the custom built polar water vessel to one of the most modern and environmentally friendly cruise ships in the world.
Over the course of the next two years, Hurtigruten will replace diesel propulsion with large battery packs and green LNG (liquefied natural gas) engines on MS Richard With and at least five others of its existing ships.
The major upgrade of MS Richard With – which will operate Hurtigruten’s legendary and original Bergen – Kirkenes voyage – will see a number of new features being added to the ship:
- All staterooms and suites will be fully upgraded to match Hurtigruten’s new standards. On deck 6, a number of cabins will be merged into 14 larger suites, some with large bay windows and spectacular views.
- In addition to a full makeover, the aft-facing Torget main restaurant will be fitted with large deck-to-ceiling windows.
- The Brygga bistro found on other Hurtigruten ships will be replaced by an upgraded and larger arcade and a brand-new Activity Center, which will act as the on-board headquarter for Hurtigruten’s Expedition Team.
- Kysten Fine Dining – serving innovative dishes based on high quality, local produce such as ultra-fresh seafood – will appear slightly different from other Hurtigruten ships, and also be open for a la carte lunch.
- The gym on deck 7 will be enlarged, the sauna upgraded and two aft-facing outdoor hot tubs will be added.
- Two new lecture halls will be added forward on deck 4, in conjunction to the open Kompass information and shopping area, where guests can enjoy exclusive offers on outdoor clothing and other items.
- On deck 7, the informal and hugely popular Hurtigruten venue Multe Bakery – serving freshly baked cakes and pastries, smørbrød (open sandwiches with generous amounts of topping), smoothies, a large assortment of local ice cream with homemade toppings, premium coffee, organic herbal tea, and premium juice will be added.
- The forward-facing Explorer Lounge and Panorama Bar will offer a unique atmosphere and the best views on the ship – with front-row seats for enjoying the Northern Lights, Midnight Sun, wildlife and nature as it passes by.
- On the more technical side, the ship will also undergo several upgrades – including installment of shore power facilities and a new air condition system.
The major refurbishment of MS Richard With, named after Hurtigruten’s founder, marks the end of Hurtigruten’s 125th anniversary.
After a recent order for a third, revolutionary hybrid powered expedition cruise ship, Hurtigruten operates a growing fleet of 17 custom built expedition ships.
Exploring unique destinations from pole to pole, including Antarctica, South America, Norway, Svalbard, Greenland, Northwest Passage and other Arctic destinations, Hurtigruten is the world’s largest expedition cruise operator.
Leave a Reply