Continuing its tremendously popular “You Care. We Care.” voluntourism adventures into the new year, Crystal is unveiling more than two dozen voluntourism experiences for its 2019 ocean voyages.
Offered on most Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity sailings, as well as select Crystal Esprit itineraries in the West Indies, the complimentary excursions invite both guests and crew members to give their time and energy to dozens of worthwhile causes around the world. Following its debut in 2011, Crystal’s “You Care. We Care.” programme has garnered great interest from travellers seeking to connect with destinations on a deeper level, offering visits to some organisations once a year and others visited on multiple voyages, building goodwill and relationships.
The spirit of hospitality is at the heart of Crystal’s “You Care. We Care.” programme, reiterating the company’s commitment to the respectful treatment of the oceans and communities in which it travels. Each programme selected is carefully vetted by Crystal. The criteria for selecting the activities that are part of the experience on each “You Care. We Care.” adventure involve identifying those at which participants can make an immediate positive impact. The organisations determine their greatest needs and then the Crystal team works closely with them on how they would like Crystal to be involved.
The contribution of guests and crew is that of time and care, with no financial obligations requested or required. Crystal also provides financial and other needed resources annually to many of the charities visited during “You Care. We Care.” adventures benefiting the programmes and the people they serve.
For 2019, Crystal guests and crew can contribute to communities around the world with the following “You Care. We Care.” voluntourism excursions including:
- Assisting at the San Francisco Food Bank, Clatsop Community Action Food Bank in Astoria and Mustard Seed Food Bank in Victoria.
- Playing games, reading, dancing and participating in an array of other activities with the elderly and children at the Granitos de Paz Foundation in Cartagena.
- Helping to feed the elderly at Mercy Kitchen in Belize.
- Assisting with cleaning and caring for the animals at the Samui Animal Shelter in Koh Samui.
- Getting an up-close look at the wildlife at Territory Wildlife Park and joining the conservation team in maintaining the park’s botanical gardens in Darwin.
- Participating in tree planting conservation efforts to shelter the yellow-eyed penguins of Dunedin.
- Assisting with gardening and other household duties at Domus Christi Home for the Elderly in Dubrovnik.
- Assisting with meal preparation or recreational activities at Smile of a Child in Corinth.
- Helping prepare food and create ceramic artwork with the disabled at the Pio Monte della Misericordia in Sorrento.
- Learning about the conservation of marine life and participating in the theoretical rescue of a dolphin at the Rehabilitation Centre of Prat de Llobregat in Barcelona.
- Assisting with the work at the Gallinas & Focas home for the mentally challenged, tending gardens and olive groves in Palma de Mallorca.
- Assisting with grounds keeping at the historic Mount Stewart House & Gardens in Belfast.
- Planting trees at the Heidmork Natural Reserve in Reykjavik.
- Visiting the Guernsey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in St. Peter Port.
Its recommended that Crystal Voluntourism Adventures are pre-reserved in advance.